Our Story

Our Story

We are Lacey Klassen and Michelle Maisonville; two Christian mothers privileged to go to Rwanda and Kenya with Home of Hope
from April 30-May 15, 2013. We've had an amazing experience and are happy to share it with all of you! For more information on all of the good Home of Hope is doing, please visit http://www.homeofhope.ca. Thank you so much for all of your support!

Love,
Lacey and Michelle



Saturday 20 July 2013

What is Love?

When we arrived in Rwanda and then again in Kenya, I was amazed by the instantaneous love I felt for the people.  It was one of the purest loves I have ever known in the fact that it was not driven by a desire to gain anything.  It was like that instant love I felt for my children when they were newborns and needed more from me than they could give, and yet through simply grasping my finger with their tiny hands, they gave me more than I thought possible.
"Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged." 1 Corinthians 13:4-5 (NLT)
True love has no boundaries and no requirements.  I recently read this article in Charisma magazine. This passage struck me the most:
We often feel we have to earn someone’s love by training ourselves to give them what they want. Unfortunately, this kind of love isn’t “pure” at all, and it doesn’t come close to reflecting God’s true heart. But we’re so used to performing and trying to impress the people we want to love us that we treat God the same way. We go around and around in circles trying to make Him happy without ever stopping to consider that maybe His love is really, truly, pure—without any selfish or deceptive motive. Maybe God doesn't want anything from us except us.
I have struggled for a long time thinking I wasn't good enough.  I constantly want to please others and concern myself with what they think of me.  Last night, as I prayed before bed, I remembered something that I had once known, but had forgotten as life had gone on.  The only One I need to concern myself with is God.  What matters most is that He loves me; and, He does, unconditionally.  His love has no boundaries, no rules, no caveats.  He loves me (and YOU!) so much that He sent His Son, Jesus, to die on the cross for our sins!  What wondrous love is this!!

As tears ran down my face, I realized I had to let go of my overwhelming need to seek approval from anyone but my Heavenly Father. Sometimes I feel like the lost son (or daughter in my case).  I feel unworthy of love from anyone.  I repent to the Father and ask him to forgive me; but, I forget to listen and I miss these words...
“But his father said... ‘this son (daughter) of mine was dead and has now returned to life. He (She) was lost, but now he (she) is found.’ Luke 15:22 &24 (NLT)
True love comes from the Father in Heaven.  He is the only One we need to please, and He already loves us just because we are who we are... His children.

Love,
Michelle
Photo courtesy https://www.facebook.com/gigoncrosswalk

No comments:

Post a Comment